Who is Nathaniel Hansen?
Over the last several years, my independent film projects (one feature and 12 shorts), have focused on the seemingly mundane and everyday lives of individuals all over the globe: rich, poor, young and old. By focusing a lens on the everyday experiences of these individuals, my films provide viewers an intimate look at what it means to really live, and hopefully allows space for the viewer to reflect on experiences that shape who they are and how they think.
As a media artist, my work is self reflexive in that I call attention to the fact that what is being viewed is a subjective construction, not simply an objective observation. Others have called my work existential, in that the subject matter often addresses conditions of existence and a person’s emotions, actions, responsibilities, and thoughts related to that existence. In addition, my work focuses on meaning people create in life through failure, success, and challenges along the way. My subjects are passionate and sincere, and I strive to call attention and give voice to memories and experiences from their seemingly normal lives.
As a commercial producer, director, and editor, I bring years and literally thousands of hours of documentary interview and story producing experiences into the art direction process. This has proved invaluable for clients seeking to re-align their corporate ideals with the desires of their (prospective) customers. On my independent projects, it allows the stories to rise above the framework I've sent them in.
Regardless of title or role, my ultimate objective is to help tell really, really good stories.
- Expired! A short documentary about milk expiration dates in Montana
- Pantone Short Documentaries featuring Graphic Designers
- Documentary Film SPEARHUNTER is now online
- The Elders Documentary Now Available for Download and Streaming
- The Elders Reviewed by Boston Globe Critic Peter Keough
- The Elders highlighted in “Best of Boston’s IFFB” lineup
- Kupuna: An Interactive Documentary
- Dreamin’ Up Work: What would you get if you combined Kickstarter + The Elders + Hawaii + Interactive Documentary storytelling?
- MicroDry Shoot NYC
- Everybody Is A Story: Exploring the Role Story and Narrative Play in Real Life
- Manhattan Prep School Promo Documentary
- Brazil – Short Documentary for Row6.com
- The Elders: It’s starting to happen!
- Storytelling Around the World
- The Ultimate Crowdfunding TO-DO list: BEFORE YOU LAUNCH
- More recent items »